E111 Card Renewal

If you are planning to head into Europe, getting an e111 card or e111 renewal is a great start. The e111 allows travellers carrying the card to receive reduced-cost or potentially free medical treatment in a number of participating European countries when they need it most – which is why e111 card renewal is also vital before you travel!

An e111 card will cover:

  • Required medical treatment during your stay as a result of an accident or illness
  • Provide access to reduced-cost or potentially free medical treatment from multiple state healthcare providers
  • The e111 allows you to receive the same treatment a resident of the country you are visiting would get.
  • The e111 also includes treatment of pre-existing medical conditions that require treatment during your stay
  • The e111 covers routine maternity care, as long as you are not planning to give birth abroad
  • The e111 scheme includes the supply of other routine medical care, renal dialysis and oxygen.


Who needs an E111?

If you are a UK resident, you are entitled to receive the necessary medical treatment at either a reduced cost or for free when on holiday or visiting a destination within the EU, including Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. In order to get this treatment, you will need to carry your e111 card with you.

UK residents are entitled to have an e111. The card is not valid for people who are planning to live abroad. You may face some restrictions, depending on your nationality:

  • UK and other EU citizens are covered in all European countries, including Switzerland. If you are a national of Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovenia or Slovakia, your e111 card is invalid in Switzerland.
  • Citizens of Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein are covered in European countries except Switzerland.
  • People who are not a UK, EU or EEA national are also covered in all European countries, excluding Switzerland.
  • Those with a Swiss nationality are covered in all EU countries, except Liechtenstein and Norway. Note that in Iceland, you will only be covered for emergency treatment.
  • EEA nationals who are originally a resident in the UK are covered in all European countries, including Switzerland, regardless of their nationality.

You can apply for an e111 card on behalf of your partner or a child up to the age of 16 when you apply for your own, even if you are a guardian or foster parent, but you must be over the age of 16.

Before you can apply or choose the e111 card renewal option, you will need to ensure you have the name and date of birth of the person you are applying for, as well as their National Insurance or NHS Number.

In Scotland, the NHS number is identified as the Community Health Index (CHI) number. In Northern Island, it is called the Health and Care Number.


Where is my E111 card valid?

Your e111 card is valid when you visit a country in Europe or Switzerland if you are going on a business trip, short break or holiday.

You can’t use your e111 card if you are planning to move abroad to live, study or work or if you are travelling overseas to receive planned treatment. You are also unable to use your e111 card for private medical treatment abroad.

Don’t panic if you are travelling outside of Europe. The UK has a special agreement with a number of course outside of Europe to still provide healthcare for visitors. Although you will not require an e111 card to receive urgent medical treatment in these countries, you will need to provide documents that prove you are a UK resident, such as a driving license or UK passport, in order to complete the e111 renew card application.

The Non-European countries that have special healthcare agreements with the UK are Anguilla; Australia; Bosnia and Herzegovina; the British Virgin Islands; Falkland Islands; Gibraltar; the Isle of Man; Jersey; Macedonia; Montenegro; Montserrat; New Zealand; St Helena; Serbia and Turks and Caicos Islands.


Does the E111 card replace travel insurance?

No – your e111 card does not replace travel insurance. Although the e111 card provides a practical safety net when you travel within Europe, it is important to understand that it is in no means a replacement for travel insurance.

The e111 card won’t cover you for healthcare treatments that would not usually be provided by the country or state you are visiting. For example, if you had an accident skiing, e111 would not cover the cost of rescue and repatriation if you were severely injured and not able to board a commercial aircraft.

It is also vital to know that the e111 renewal does not provide you with protection against crime while on holiday in Europe. It will also not protect you if you lose important documents or items, or if you are forced to end your trip early due to an emergency at home.

To ensure you have all the cover you may need while away from home, you should apply for an e111 card alongside a high-value travel insurance policy.

Travel insurance is great because it provides a range of benefits for frequent travellers. Not only do travel insurance companies ensure you receive the correct amount of compensation for losses that result from a trip that has either been interrupted or cancelled, but those who undertake a travel insurance policy receive protection for lost luggage too.


How long is my E111 valid for?

An e111 card is valid for five years from the day you receive it. After this time, you must revisit the e111 renew card page to apply for another.

If in doubt, you can submit your e111 renew card application up to six months in advance.

The quickest way to apply is online. Once your application has been sent, you can expect to receive your e111 renew card within seven days.


E111 card renewal

E111 card renewal is easy. You can apply for a new card or e111 renewal using the e111 online application form here.

If you live abroad and you receive an exportable UK benefit or UK state pension, are a frontier worker or live in the EEA and are a family member of someone working in the UK, you will need to contact the Overseas Healthcare Team to apply to renew your e111 card or use our site today!


Don’t panic if you need to renew a couple but not all e111 cards in your family. Simply enter the details of all your family members, including those whose e111 cards are still valid, to ensure your family details remain connected. When you proceed with your application, a warning message will pop up against the card that cannot be renewed at this time. Only cards that are due to expire or are invalid will be renewed.


If you would like to find out more about the e111 renew card process or have an enquiry, please contact us today.


What do I do if my E111 is lost or stolen?

To replace your e111 card while you are in the UK, you can call 0300 330 1350 or apply online.

You will need to provide your:

  • Full name
  • UK address
  • Date of Birth
  • Personal Identification (NI) Number

If you do require medical treatment but have misplaced your e111 card, you can wait until you return home to apply for an e111 renewal, and take the risk that you will not require emergency access to medical treatment, or apply for a Provisional Replacement Certificate.

If you are in Europe and need immediate medical treatment but your card has been lost or stolen, you need to apply to a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC). The PRC will give you the same cover as an e111 card in Europe until you arrive home.

To apply for a Provisional Replacement Certificate call the Overseas Healthcare Team on 0191 218 1999, who are available Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm. If you require a Provisional Replacement Certificate outside of these hours, you should call as soon as it is possible to.

To apply, you need to provide the Overseas Healthcare Team with:

  • Your National Insurance (NI) Number
  • Full name
  • Address
  • Date of Birth
  • NHS Number
  • The fax number or email address for the department of the hospital you are receiving medical attention.

If you are unable to make the phone call yourself, someone else can do it on your behalf.

To make replacing your e111 card easier, it is best to have copies of the originals with you. These should be left in your hotel or accommodation so if the worst case scenario was to occur, you can still receive reduced-cost or free medical treatment abroad. If you are unable to take a photocopy, take a photograph on your mobile instead. This way you can access all the information you need, when you need it the most.

Apply for an e111 renewal online with us today, and get your European Health Insurance Card quicker than ever.