Can My Family Members Use My EHIC Card?

Your EHIC card is an essential travel document to take with you when you are going on holiday. It ensures that you are covered against the cost of any emergency medical treatment you may require while you are away on holiday. As long as you have a valid EHIC card and you are within one of the European Economic Area (EEA) countries, you will be covered. However, each person travelling to Europe must have their own EHIC card. Your family members can’t use your card because each card is only valid for individual use.

A parent or guardian can apply for an EHIC card on behalf of their children if they are under 16. Individuals can also apply for their child’s EHIC if they are under 19 and are still in full-time education, such as attending college or university.

When you renew your EHIC card it’s important to enter the details of all family members who may be travelling with you, or are likely to travel in the future, even if their EHIC is not currently out of date. This will help to make sure that each member of the family is connected throughout the EHIC process.

Remember, all your personal details must be kept up to date for your EHIC to be valid. If you move house and don’t register your new address on your EHIC card, you won’t be able to use it to help cover the cost of medical treatment while you’re abroad. You should also remember to update your children’s personal information should you move house too.

As well as ensuring every member of your family has a valid and up-to-date EHIC card it’s also a good idea to make sure you have adequate travel insurance for your whole family. This will cover you for loss of your possessions, flight delays and cancellations as well as any additional medical costs which may not be covered by your EHIC card. For example, emergency rescue is not generally covered by an EHIC card so if you are planning a skiing holiday you will need to make sure you are insured, just in case!